In keeping with his promise made past February that government will reintroduce the rice quota system, President Koroma has informed the military that with effect from this month, each serving personnel of the RSLAF will start taking home a bag of rice in addition to his/her monthly salary take home.
This disclosure was made by the Honorable Minister of Defense, Major (Rtd) Alfred Paolo Conteh during his address to personnel of the Western Area Troops in the early hours of Thursday 24th June 2010 at the Hockey Pitch, Wilberforce Barracks in Freetown.
Addressing officers, men and women of the RSLAF, the minister recalled achievements made by the army within the past three years, including the deployment of troops to the Untied Nations (UN) Peace Keeping Support Operation in Darfur, Sudan, and also in areas such as accommodation, medical, welfare, and troop moral.
Honorable Minister further said that in a bid to further improve on accommodation, the Ministry of Defense has been receiving bids from contractors for the construction of an ultra modern barracks. The army Director of Public Relations and Information, Captain K. Jabbie reiterated that it was in fulfillment of a promise earlier on made by HE the President Dr. Ernest Bai Koroma in his address to soldiers during the Armed Forces Week Celebration in February 2010, where he promised that his Government would soon begin to give each serving soldier a bag of rice to take home every month. He said rice is a serious source of moral among soldiers in the RSLAF as was done in the past. "In the past soldiers of all ranks used to take home rice according to their ranks but this has unfortunately been abandoned when events over turned., he said, adding that the resumption will once again bring high moral in the army. The good news was heartily welcomed by the soldiers.