ACC Caught Shameful Judiciary Immorality:
Litigant Chats Judge in Private Chambers:
Independent Observer of June 9th 2009: Le500,000 Bribe... JUSTICE HALLOWAY ARRESTED & freed on bail last evening: Josephine Jalloh lands Justice Allan Halloway in ACC trap
By Isatu Gbla & Debora Stevens
Justice Allan Halloway was last evening freed on bail with his uncle lawyer Eke Halloway standing surety on his behalf following his arrest earlier in the day by the Anti Corruption Commission on allegation of soliciting an advantage involving Le500,000.
According to our source at the Law Court, a lady Josephine Jalloh of Sanders Street, not satisfied with a Magistrate Court ruling in a matter she is having, filed an appeal in the High Court in which Justice Halloway is the presiding Judge.
But she was of the suspicion that Halloway was delaying judgement in the matter which was to have come up again yesterday. So prior to the court sittings, Josephine visited him in his chamber at the Law Court Building and their conversation ended with her leaving on the Judge’s table, an envelope containing money.
She had before then gone to the Anti Corruption Commission to report the matter and it was there also the plot to trap Halloway was worked out.
To corroborate this, the ACC officers led by one Kanu entered Halloway’s chamber just as Josephine Jalloh was walking out.
They reportedly told him he was not going to sit court and he should follow them to the ACC Headquarter. The officers also took with them the envelop Josephine had left on his table. Court sittings immediately came to a standstill as Judges, Magistrates, Lawyers and even those who had gone to witness cases all rushed out to have a glimpse as he was been escorted into a waiting jeep parked along Lamina Sankoh Street, a few distance from the Law Court...
FROM THE DESK OF THE PUBLISHER
Awareness Times Newspaper
24 Garrison Street, Freetown, Sierra Leone. Tel: 077-772001
Chairman & Members
Independent Media Commission
Tuesday 21st July 2015.
RESPONSE TO JONATHAN LEIGH AND INDEPENDENT OBSERVER’S
JUNE 25TH 2015 COMPLAINT AGAINST DR. SYLVIA BLYDEN AND AWARENESS TIMES
Prior to making my response, I write to bring to your attention that a bitter complaint I reported to your Complaints Committee against Mr. Jonathan Leigh and Independent Observer Newspaper is yet to be looked into. It is my hope that my rights as a citizen to have my complaints looked into, will be upheld. I do note that a related investigation related to my complaint was conducted and Leigh was asked to issue an Apology Letter and Retraction of his offensive publication. However, as I type these words on 21st July 2015, I am yet to receive an Apology Letter from Leigh and Leigh is yet to retract his offensive article. Leigh has not told the public that he LIED about me having a sexual relationship with Revd Kabs-Kanu. He has not told the public that offensive, nasty words he published on Page 3 claiming were my words, were never written by me but were part of malicious agenda to bring me down.
It is my hope that in the course of today’s Hearing, even if my complaint is not looked into, I will get justice from the IMC both in the form of the Apology Letter and an acceptable retraction on the front pages of Mr. Leigh’s newspaper. A Retraction that will tell the world that Mr. Leigh LIED and LIED and LIED on me. Even Mr. Leigh’s friend Justice Halloway’s obtuse attempt to whitewash severity of offensive article, could not say that the demand for an Apology and a Retraction were out of place.
Still before going into looking at his complaint, I want to bring to the attention of this body that Mr. Leigh has been persistently continuing to hound me and defame me on the front pages of his newspaper. In this regard, I hereby file following Counter-Complaints of recent offenses against me; all committed by him within just the past 1 month. In less than 30 days, a total of 17 offenses by him.
1. On 19th June 2015 and 22nd June 2015, Mr. Leigh published on his front pages in an article entitled SYLVIA BLYDEN’S SMEAR CAMPAIGN that I defied the IMC and continued to publish after the IMC had ordered me to stop publishing. This is totally untrue and runs contrary to the Accuracy Clause of the media code. The truth is that the IMC never served me or anyone at Awareness Times, an order to cease publication. By the time the IMC moved to serve me the order, the High Court had already granted an Injunction stopping them. Therefore, it is untrue for Leigh to say I defied the IMC and continued publishing. I have never defied the IMC; all I did was go by the Order of the High Court.
2. Again in those same 19th June and 22nd June articles, Mr. Leigh described me as a “failed medical doctor”. This again is contrary to the Accuracy Clause of the IMC. Unless the University of Sierra Leone withdraws my medical degrees (I have two of them), I cannot be called a “failed medical doctor”.
3. Again in those same 19th June and 22nd June articles, Mr. Leigh described me as a “rogue”. This again is contrary to the Accuracy Clause of the IMC. Unlike Mr. Leigh whom with his criminal conviction in court perfectly fits the English definition of the word “rogue”, I cannot be called a “rogue” as I have never engaged in illegal acts of roguery.
4. On 23rd June 2015 on his front pages, Mr. Leigh again breached the Accuracy clause of the media code when he published that I said Abdul Tejan-Cole “did a very perfect job when it comes to the issue of Justice Halloway”. I have never, ever, ever in my entire life stated such. Rather, my point is that the allegations levied against Halloway by the anti corruption commission, have never been withdrawn nor has Halloway ever received an apology from the ACC. Instead, I am reliably informed that Halloway was only allowed back on the Bench after he wrote a formal letter to the Chief Justice and the Judicial & Legal Service Commission apologising to them for his lapse in good judgment that brought shame to the judiciary whilst promising not to ever repeat such.
5. On 24th June 2015 on his front pages, Mr. Leigh again failed the Accuracy Clause when he falsely declared me as WANTED with the publication of a poster on a street pole that had my picture under the words WANTED.
6. On 24th June 2015 on his front pages, Mr. Leigh again failed the accuracy clause when he again falsely described me as a “Rogue”.
7. On 24th June 2015 on his front pages, Mr. Leigh again failed the accuracy clause when he falsely described me as a “failed medical doctor”.
8. On 25th June 2015 on his front pages, Mr. Leigh again failed the accuracy clause when he used the term “RECKLESS” to describe me. I am not reckless.
9. On 25th June 2015 on page 4 of his paper, Mr. Leigh again failed the accuracy clause when he falsely described me as a “failed medical doctor”
10. On 25th June 2015 on page 4 of his paper, Mr. Leigh again failed the accuracy clause when he again falsely described me as a “Rogue”.
11.On 30th June 2015 on his front pages, Mr. Leigh again failed the accuracy clause when he published that AWARENESS TIMES was “crying wolf” as we referenced alleged nude photos of the Honourable Vice-President. The truth is that neither Awareness Times nor my humble self has EVER referenced that there are alleged nude photos of the VP. Thus his claim that AWARENESS TIMES had gone to “cry wolf on alleged nude pictures of the vice president” fails the Accuracy Clause of the media code. We never ever mentioned such and as far as we are concerned, no true professional media practitioner will ever reference an unproven nude photo to be that of a Vice-President!
12.On 6th July 2015, Mr. Leigh again failed the accuracy clause when he published as his lead story headline that “Sylvia Blyden is Back at State House”. That is not true. I have not gone back to State House.
13. On the same 6th July 2015, Mr. Leigh again failed the accuracy clause when he published on his front page that Sylvia Blyden was “named in Presidential delegation to UN as State House Journalist”. He supported that claim with a totally BOGUS list of names of members of the presidential delegation to UN. I have NEVER been named in the presidential delegation as a “State House Journalist”. Rather, an invitation was extended to me not only as a Journalist FROM AWARENESS TIMES but also as a medical doctor with a proven insight into the Ebola Crisis that was going to be discussed at UN. Whilst my profession is considered to be a Journalist, I went as an Adviser to President for that trip and indeed during the President’s discussions with top medical persons in the UN hierarchy, he invited me to join them and make my input.
14. On 7th July 2015, Mr. Leigh again failed the Accuracy clause when he published on his front pages that Sylvia Blyden “has been all over the social media since Saturday when the list leaked, strenuously engaged in laundering her battered image”. This is totally untrue. I did one update (a single update!) on my private Facebook wall when the BOGUS LIST was issued on social media. I did this because I am a public figure and people wanted to know if the list was accurate and if I was back at State House. So it fails the accuracy test for him to say I was “all over social media”. Further, I do not have a battered image.
15. Again on 7th July 2015, Mr. Leigh fails the Accuracy test when he claims I had previously gone “with Ernest to New York” and that I had lied that I paid for my ticket. His contention is that since I used the same flight and stayed in the same hotel, I could not have paid my own way but that I was engaged in corrupt “pranks” with the Government which has now “leaked” and so I am restless. All of these are untrue. I was the one who announced that I was covering the President’s trip privately and not funded by Government. All my expenses including my air ticket were privately funded. Infact, I paid cash for my ticket at the Brussels Airlines Offices in Freetown.
16.On 13th July 2015 and again on 14th July 2015, still on a desperate mission to give credibility to his BOGUS list that had me falsely listed on there as a STATE HOUSE JOURNALIST, he again on his front pages of those two editions, failed the Accuracy Clause when he published that I am “shameless” because I “left Freetown falsely designated as State House Journalist & on arrival in New York carried as ADVISER status”. The truth is that I was invited on the trip to UN specifically as an ADVISER to His Excellency who values my insights into Ebola.
17. On 16th July 2015, Mr. Leigh has again created serious embarrassment for me with his inaccurate portrayal of me as someone who holds the IMC is low regard to extent I have been fined Le500,000 for failing to obey a summons. This is untrue and it is not even the place of Mr. Leigh to announce such fines.
It is my hope that the Complaints Committee will look into all the eighteen (18) counts of his failure to obey the accuracy clause of the Media Code of Practise. I also hope the Complaints Committee will also now look into my formal complaint against him for publishing sexually explicit and pornographic claims that I confessed to have had sex with one Revd Kabbs-Kanu, three times alongside other such highly offensive allegations he published on his Page 3 of the offensive edition.
Now, about the substance of his own complaint for today. Actually his complaint has absolutely no merit and has simply confirmed one of two things. He either does not understand simple written English language or he does not keep record of what he himself has published in the past.
One of the reasons why I am so galled at Justice Allan Halloway is because he should have recused himself off a matter involving Independent Observer newspaper as that paper was his primary defender during the time he was on suspension as a Judge. The evidence is overwhelming and runs into dozens of publications by Mr. Leigh in defence of Justice Halloway. Some of the defence were quite unethical in their contents to an extent Leigh once published on his front pages a conjecture that the fiancé of Halloway was such a cheap woman that she was to be considered as pliable to the sexual advances of the then ACC Boss.
I hereby submit just two of the dozens of the editions of pro-Halloway defence by Jonathan Leigh.
The first dated June 9th 2009 was published on the morning after Halloway was arrested. The words, as published, speak as to whether Leigh has any merit to the complaint he is filing.
The words of the second one dated July 5th 2010 also speak as to whether Leigh has any merit in the complaint he is filing.
The problem to my mind is that either Leigh does not remember the above-referenced words he once published and which I referenced in the article he complains, OR he might not understand the simple English that I wrote.
Dr. Sylvia Olayinka Blyden
Publisher of Awareness Times.
CC: Mr. Jonathan Leigh
© Copyright by Awareness Times
Newspaper in Freetown, Sierra Leone.