It is most unfortunate and downright disheartening that those entrusted with the noble task of disseminating accurate information to the deserving public would choose to deliberately misinform the same; sometimes for personal or political reasons.
When will we start placing national interest ahead of selfish gain?
I will not respond to the spurious and obviously poorly researched allegations made by a certain writer who has a personal axe to grind with this Government; details of which I am sure men of good conscience may bring to public light in the interest of the Public, but let me just state in passing that:
1. Aggreko won an international competitive bidding supervised by the World Bank to help fill the dry season gap.
2. Without Aggreko, the people of Wellington and environs would have been in total darkness.
3. The cost of providing electricity is much smaller than the cost of darkness and Government is alive to its responsibility.
4. There has been a massive increase in electricity produced and supplied Nationwide.
5. Apart from the transformational energy projects secured by this Government, such as new transmission lines, new network upgrade of Bo and Kenema, Provincial Electrification for 10 District Headquarter Towns, Energy Revolution Home Solar Units Nationwide, new distribution lines in the Western Area, etc, Sierra Leone today has embarked on the biggest solar mini grid project in the World, installing 50 minigrids at the same time, all across the Country.
All this and more is the reality of our electricity progress, improving in three digits over 10years , even in the presence of mischief makers.
President Koroma's vision is alive and well, as he our beloved President also is, in spite of many who had said otherwise.
Thankfully, there is ample provision in the law for one to protect one's image and character and stem unbridled slander. As President Koroma observed at the last State Opening of Parliament, being a public servant is not an invitation to be abused. We all have rights.
My office remains open to anyone wishing to corroborate the above and to access authentic energy information. We shall soon go public with our Energy Database, which will be validated by the International Community and Partners. Maybe then, the Public will finally be treated to accurate and unbiased data and information, which they deserve.
God bless President Koroma and God bless Sierra Leone.
© Copyright by Awareness Times
Newspaper in Freetown, Sierra Leone.