From Awareness Times Newspaper in
Sierra Leone Military Chief profusely apologises to Female Parliamentarian Hon. Elizabeth Alpha-Lavalie
By Chief of Defence Staff Major General Nelson-Williams
Feb 3, 2009, 17:22
MINISTRY OF DEFENCE
Date: 30th January 2009
MILITARY PERSONNEL IN ILLEGAL DEPLOYMENT
1. The Ministry of Defence has received with dismay a report of the unprofessional involvement of military personnel into the intimidation and subsequent assault on the person of Honourable Mrs. Elizabeth Alpha-Lavallie, Member of Parliament and Mr. Al-Shek Kamara, Assistant Inspector General of Police, at Thomas Drive, Hill Station, Freetown.
2. This Ministry condemns in no uncertain terms the behaviour of such military personnel, and wants to categorically state that no Republic of Sierra Leone Armed Forces (RSLAF) personnel would be tolerated or encouraged to bring the RSLAF into any bad relationship with the Sierra Leone Police and the civil populace, whose hard earned time and taxes are used to upkeep members of this noble institution. Let it be known to everyone force-wide that no soldier would be allowed to drag the good image of the RSLAF into disrepute. The RSLAF is now a professional force that is accountable to the government and people of Sierra Leone.
3. Again, let it be known to all and sundry that there are laid down procedures for the deployment of RSLAF personnel as enshrined in the Defence missions and tasks in general and in the Military Aid to Civil Power (MAC-P) paper in particular. Therefore, the Ministry of Defence frowns at any self-created deployment of any soldier by anybody that does not carry the approval of the Ministry of Defence. Apart from His Excellency, the President, Commander-In-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Sierra Leone and Chairman of the Defence Council, and the Honourable Vice President, to reiterate, no military deployment has been authorized by the Ministry of Defence to any civilian or civilian organization. Such deployment is illegal and unacceptable. Any member of the force, who engages himself in any illegal deployment, will face the full penalty of both military and civil law as appropriate.
4. The soldier deployed at Thomas Drive, Hill Station, should immediately report to his unit with no intent to hide from the due process. Joint Force Commander is requested to investigate and bring to book the soldier(s) as reported by AIG Al-Shek Kamara and Mrs. Elizabeth Alpha-Lavallie.
5. To Honourable Mrs. Elizabeth Alpha-Lavallie and our Police counterpart: Ministry of Defence deeply regrets the involvement of our military personnel into assaulting your personalities. This Ministry respects service to authorities within the framework of true military professionalism. We remain so remorseful and promise that our troops will indeed serve you and other Sierra Leoneans in good faith. Please, always count on this Ministry’s esteem and cooperation’.
6. Forwarded for your information and necessary administrative action.
Chief of Defence Staff
Minister of Defence
Honourable Mrs. Elizabeth Alpha-Lavallie
National Security Co-coordinator
Inspector General of Police
Deputy Chief of Defence Staff
Assistant Chief of Defence Staff Personnel and Training
Assistant Inspector General of Police (Mr. Al-Shek Kamara)
Â© Copyright 2005, Freetown, Sierra Leone.