UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
GENERIC JOB DESCRIPTION
I. Position Information
Job Code Title: NHDR Advisor
Type of Contract: Service Contract
Level: SC11 (NOD) Economic Development Unit UNDP, Sierra Leone
Supervisor: Senior Economist
Duration: 6 Months(Renewable)
II. Organizational Context
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Senior Economist, the National Human Development Report (NHDR) Advisor is responsible for providing advice and strategic input to the management of UNDP programme within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned. The NHDR Advisor analyzes political, social and economic trends and leads formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities within his/her portfolio, provides policy advice services.
III. Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of Key Functions:
- Reparation of the National Human Development Report (NHDR)
- Support to the preparation of other knowledge-based reports as required by the Senior Economist
1. Ensures participation in the production of NHDR through:
- Review of previous NHDR Reports, UN Joint Vision report and the Poverty Reduction Strategy Paper (PRSP) and their relations to the NHDR.
- By working closely with the Steering Committee (SC) and the Task Force (TF), identify data and/or information gaps in producing the NHDR.
- Ensure that all materials produced adhere to the specified and agreed format
- With the SC and TF, prepare the first draft of the Sierra Leone NHDR 2010, including the harmonization of all sections.
- Creation of strategic partnerships with UNCT and MDAs.
2. Ensures participation in the production of other knowledge-based reports through:
- Compile, analyze and interpret economic and statistical data relevant to UNDPís Country Office programme.
- Support the preparation of top quality socio-economic briefs/reports
- Analysis and research on substantive thematic areas as directed by the Senior Economist
IV. Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the effectiveness of the intellectual content of the country programme, in particular, the NHDR.
V. Competencies and Critical Success Factors
Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UNís values and ethical standards Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
- In-depth knowledge on development issues
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
-Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
- Good knowledge of the Results Management Guide and Toolkit Strong IT skills Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- eads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills - Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills - Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors - Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
VI. Recruitment Qualifications
Education: Minimum of a Masterís Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
Experience: 7-10 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Language Requirements: Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
Other requirements Excellent IT and drafting skills. Prince2 training and certification, RMG is desirable but not a requirement.
All applications in sealed envelopes should be addressed to the Deputy Country Director (Operations), UNDP, 76 Wilkinson Road, Freetown, to reach him on or before Tuesday, 10 March 2010, clearly indicating the position applied for on the top right hand corner of the envelope.