I. Post Information
Post Title: National Economist
Organizational Unit: Economic Development Unit
Supervisor: Senior Economist
Grade: ICS- 10
II. Organizational Context
Within the context of Sierra Leone, the expected role and opportunities for UNDP in the economic development area remains high. The government relies heavily on external assistance, which accounts for nearly 70% of the national spending. There is a need to broaden the country’s resource base by investing in the growth sector, bringing on board non-traditional donors, and to improve the effectiveness of aid management.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Economist, the National Economist acts as a seasoned economic analyst and provides first-class expert advice to senior management as well as to Government counterparts. The main role is to facilitate implementation of the Economic Development Programme, ensure implementation of resource mobilization strategies, strengthen strategic partnership and donor intelligence, undertake knowledge building and sharing as well as monitoring and evaluation of programme interventions.
The National Economist also ensures that economic development interventions respond creatively to emerging challenges and opportunities. In addition to undertaking strategic planning and repositioning of interventions, the National Economist also ensures that CO’s economic development interventions are consistent with UN Joint Vision priorities. The National Economist provides sound leadership to the Economic Development Team and works in close collaboration with other programme teams and units within the office, staff from UNDP HQs, other UN system, government authorities, donor community, NGO’s and civil society organizations.
III. Functions/ Key Results ExpectedSummary of Key Functions:
§ In close collaboration with the Senior Economist, ensuring the strategic direction of UNDP Economic Development Programme and provision of top quality, first-class policy advisory services to Management and the Government.
- Build and maintain strategic partnerships and support on resource mobilization.
-Facilitation of knowledge building and management particularly in the areas of economic development related issues.
- Represent UNDP at thematic groups and donor working groups meetings
1. In close collaboration with the Senior Economist, ensuring the strategic direction of UNDP Economic Development Programme and provision of top quality, first-class policy advisory services to Management and the Government focusing on the achievement of the following results:.
- Analysis of key areas of potential interventions that will contribute to Government’s priority goals for good poverty reduction, and development of concept notes for decision-making and policy making.
- Sound technical advice to Management and Government counterparts on current and emergency challenges, policy issues, threats and opportunities in the area of poverty reduction, MDG and aid effectiveness.
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to poverty reduction programme and the country development goals.
- Development of policies that will address the country needs in close collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
- dentification of strategic and innovative areas of cooperation.
- Operationalization of the Poverty reduction aspect of UN Joint Vision in collaboration with the main partners and other UN agencies.
- As poverty reduction is a cross-cutting issue, provision of sound technical and policy advice to other programme teams within the office to enhance programme quality and sustainability.
- Participation in UN thematic/technical group(s) to help guide development and implementation of programmes and policies.
2. Builds and maintains strategic partnership and support on resource mobilization focusing on the following:
- Establish the framework for scanning donors’ environment to determine areas of priorities on poverty reduction with particular reference to institutional development (e.g., human rights and access to justice; parliamentary development; electoral systems and processes; decentralization and local poverty reduction, and crisis prevention and recovery. This is to determine country’s need, areas of cooperation and priority areas.
- Develop and implement partnerships for achieving effective resource mobilization to achieve programme outcomes.
- Establishment and coordination of partnerships with UN Agencies, international financial institutions, bilateral and multilateral donors, government institutions, organized private sector, civil society organizations and other stakeholders.
- Determination of programmatic areas of cooperation based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donor priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation and identification of opportunities for cost sharing.
3. Undertakes facilitation of knowledge building and management particularly in the areas of economic development related issues:
- Facilitate the process of creating and raising level of awareness of CO Poverty reduction activities.
- Create high level advocacy on pertinent development policies and programmes across the representatives of top echelon of the country’s stakeholders.
- Determine appropriate media of reaching out to the public on CO Poverty reduction programmes and design strategies for reaching the targets in collaboration with the Communication Unit.
4. Represent UNDP at thematic groups and donor working groups meetings
- Support the government to institute (as required) thematic and/or donor working groups to discuss the emerging issues
- In consultation with the government, facilitate the work of the thematic group meetings to ensure synergies and coordination.
IV. Impact of Results
The key results have impacts on the overall success of the CO’s program, UN Joint Vision at the country and government level, the quality of sound technical advice has impact on the achievement of the overall socio-economic growth and the MDGs with a sustained and enduring peace and good poverty reduction in place.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritismFunctional Competencies:Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience and contributes to UNDP Practice Areas and actively works towards continuing personal learning and development
- Ability to provide top quality policy advice services
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issuesDevelopment and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation and implementation of strategies
- Excellent knowledge of UNDP programming framework
- Excellent IT skillsManagement and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback
- Encourages risk-taking in the pursuit of creativity and innovation
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
VI. Recruitment Qualifications
- Advanced degree in Economics (Masters or equivalent), with 5-7 years of relevant work experience. Ph.D will be counted as three years working experience.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level. Experience in research and policy-level analysis and advice. Experience in leading team, design, monitoring and evaluation of poverty reduction projects.
- Good experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Knowledge of poverty and MDG related issues and challenges and actors in country.
- Fluency (both verbal and written) in English and the national language of the duty station.
- Excellent IT and drafting skills
Applications should be submitted to the Deputy Country Director (Operations) to reach him on or before COB on Friday, 19 March 2010, clearly indicating the position applied for on the top right hand corner of the envelope