From Awareness Times Newspaper in
UNICEF FREETOWN, SIERRA LEONE VACANCY NOTICE
Mar 25, 2010, 05:04
UNICEF FREETOWN, SIERRA LEONE VACANCY NOTICE
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 60 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified Sierra Leoneans for consideration to the following post:
Post: Senior Administrative Assistant Level: GS7
Duty Station: Makeni, Sierra Leone Date Required: 1 July 2010
Duration: 2 Years (with possibility of extension)
Major duties and responsibilities:
Under the general supervision of the Field Officer, Makeni, serve as the principal assistant with responsibility for administration, personnel, accounts maintenance and budget control functions of the common field office:
· Responsible for the systematic review of office premises to ensure a good and secure working environment for all staff members in the common premises. Undertake all actions necessary to arrange cleaning services; ensure procurement, maintenance and repair of equipment and supplies in accordance with budgetary plans and allocation.
· In addition to general administrative responsibilities, directly supervise activities concerned with office, guest house and grounds maintenance, security transport and similar services. Maintain the inventory of non-expendable property for all organisations in the premises. Periodically carry out physical checks and regularly update records and transmit reports to Freetown as required. Ensure that all property is duly tagged with the purchasing agency code and that properties are kept in good order and accounted for by staff in the various offices.
· Advise and assist staff in the field in the area of office management. Arrange for and/or attends meetings on day-to-day administrative matters, participate in discussions of new or revised procedures and practices, interprets and assess the impact of changes and make recommendations for follow-up action.
· Supervise transport services by ensuring a schedule for use of vehicles, review reports on use of fuel, mileage, driver overtime records, and maintenance services. Also, assist other staff in transportation matters.
· Prepare on own initiative, correspondence, special reports, evaluation and justifications as required on general administrative and accounting tasks that may be of a confidential nature within assigned area of responsibility.
· Liaise with the relevant UN Agencies to ensure that all vehicles used by the UN Agencies in the premises and on loan to government and other NGOs are registered, licensed and insured annually. Reviews all travel requests for budgetary provision, undertake travel arrangements, i.e. tickets, hotels, per diem, etc. Issue travel authorizations confirming accuracy of information for signature of supervisor. Brief staff on all policies and procedures covering official travel.
· Control special/petty cash fund, disbursements, recording and accounting for all agencies in the common premises. Assist in the preparation of office budgets applicable to staff and servicing costs and maintains necessary budgetary control records.
· Keep supervisor abreast of potential problem areas, identify and recommend solutions. Prepare reports and correspondence on administrative matters.
· Supervise the timely and organise delivery, collection, registry, reproduction and transmittal (UNET, telex, fax, courier) of correspondence, documents, pouch services and administrative supplies.
· Supervise the receptionist and ensure the reception area is properly manned and that mails and pouch are promptly delivered.UNICEF is committed to diversity and gender equality in its workplace.
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply
QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS:
Education: Advanced Diploma in Administration, Accounting or related field. First degree would be an advantage.Work Experience: Five years of practical professional work experience in the field of general office administration, especially in the areas of transportation management, travel, customs and protocol arrangements. Experience in an international organization desirable.Language: Fluency in English. Knowledge of Temne, Krio or any other local language.Other Competencies & Skills:
· Good judgement, initiative, high sense of responsibility, organisation, negotiating and analytical skills
· Supervisory ability
· Ability to conduct training
· Good writing and communication skills
· Ability to work in an international and multi-cultural organisation
· Knowledge of MS Word and MS Excel.
Applications should be forwarded under confidential cover marked "Application for Senior Administrative Assistant" complete with an up-to-date c.v. and names of two referees (non relatives) to reach the Chief of Operations, UNICEF, Central Medical Stores Compound, New England, Freetown on or before Thursday, 1 April 2010.Please note that acknowledgement of application will be extended only to short-listed candidates.
Â© Copyright 2005, Freetown, Sierra Leone.