Job Title: Guard
Location: Port Loko
Starting date & period: To start on the 1st May 2010 (Period of Contract is 1st May 2010 to 31st December 2010)
War Child Holland (WCH) is an international non-governmental organization that invests in the peaceful future of children affected by armed conflict. In Sierra Leone, WCH implements a Community Based Programme in Bombali and Port Loko districts. The programme aims at rebuilding peaceful communities, in which the rights of children are being respected. WCH applies creative, recreational, sportive, social and cultural methods.
War Child Holland has a strong commitment to the protection and safety of children.
War Child Holland does not tolerate or accept any form of child abuse
Objective of the post:
Providing safety and security of persons, items and structures at the WCH-SL compounds, in accordance with WCH-SL Security Standards.
Reports to: Field Logistics Officer
A. RESULT AREAS
1. Allow only authorized visitors and vehicles to enter the compound.
2. Record names and arrival times of visitors.
3. Immediately inform the Field Logistics Officer or member of senior management for any missing items.
4. Immediately inform all management staff for any suspected security problems and report any incident immediately.
5. Responsible for opening and closing of the office gate as and when necessary. Ensure that the gates of the office are never left open.
6. At handing over time, check the compound and properties with their replacement and sign in the logbook hen everything is all right.
7. Ensure that the security phone and handsets are fully charged and in fully working order at the beginning of their shift. Mobile should always have credit.
8. To be alert and vigilant at all times, including patrolling around the compound especially at night at frequent intervals.
9. To be polite and courteous to any visitors coming to the War Child office.
10. Responsible for the recording of the movement of War child Holland Motorbikes and vehicle (into and out of the office) in the log book/ledger
11. Ensure that the motorbike checklist and Vehicle/motor request forms are filled by the rider/driver before opening the gate.
1. Assist with loading and unloading of office and program items.
2. Switch on and off the generator on request from FLM, AFO or LO and fill the generator with fuel as necessary.
3. Correctly fill-in the logbook for generator/fuel. Ensure that the generator is always clean.
4. Inform the Logistics officer about the condition of the generator and notify him when maintenance is about to due.
5. Ensure that the compound is kept clean and tidy when on duty during weekends
Required institutional core values
·Respect for universal child rights and non-acceptance of any form of violence or abuse against children
· Commitment to work for and in the best interest of children and youth in Sierra Leone.
· Demonstration of respect for co-workers, project participants and partners.
· High degree of professional and personal integrity in discharging roles and responsibilities
· Ability to detect and assess security risks
· Ability to use own initiative when faced with threats
· Ability to communicate clearly in English
· Basic writing skills in English
· Ability to behave in a responsible, accountable and polite manner
All employees are expected to sign a declaration of commitment to War Child Holland’s Child Protection Policy and Code of Conduct. WCH-SL will not employ any person with a known history of abuse or violence towards children.
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter which explains your motivation for this position, your work experience, educational background and specific skills that are relevant to and required for the position.
All applications should be submitted to the applicant’s nearest Ministry of Labour Office nation wide addressing it to the NGO Desk Officer of the Ministry Of Labour and a copy to any of the three War Child Offices listed below addressing it to the Field Location Manager, War Child Holland, Port Loko with an indication APPLICATION on the envelope. For Applications being submitted electronically, copies should be emailed to the following addresses: For War Child it is firstname.lastname@example.org or Ibrahim.email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org and for the Ministry of Labour it is email@example.com with the subject line APPLICATION. Please note that applications that did not go through the ministry of Labour will not be short listed.
Freetown: 20B Thailand Drive (Off Spur Road), Babadorie, Lumley, Freetown.
Makeni: No 1 Moses Conteh Street, Makeni.
Port Loko: No 12 Sheriffa Street, Port Loko.
Closing date for applications: The closing date for the submission of applications to both the Ministry of Labour and the War Child Office is the 20th April 2010.
War Child Holland Sierra Leone is entitled to modify this job description.
Women and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED