From Awareness Times Newspaper in Freetown

Local News
Awareness Times News Briefs from Sierra Leone
By Awareness Times News
Aug 31, 2010, 17:08

 NEWS BRIEFS ARE REPORTS CULLED FROM OTHER LOCAL NEWSPAPERS AND BROUGHT ONLINE FOR THE BENEFIT OF OUR READERS. THIS MEDIUM DOES NOT NECESSARILY AGREE WITH THE CONTENTS BELOW 

Quranic Competition ends at Iranian Cultural Centre


Local tabloids say the annual Quranic recital competition organized by the Cultural Consulate of the Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran was held on Saturday 28th August 2010 at their Howe Street centre in Freetown. The competition was a deep search for knowledge and wisdom where would be winners will bag packages from the Iranian Consulate. The results are yet to be announced reports say.


48,000 Living with HIV


It has been revealed that at least 48,000 Sierra Leoneans are now HIV positive, among them 5,600 said to be children. According to reports the spread of the pandemic in the country was stable in 2009 as 1.5% cases were recorded.  The prevention and control of the disease reports say has been a concern to many stakeholders, including the government as the number of HIV/AIDS cases continue to increase. NAS is reportedly working out modalities to ensure that an intensive education is carried out in order to minimize the prevalence rate.


Former PMDC Strongman Turns APC Fund Raiser


Report has alleged that President Ernest Bai Koroma has recently appointed the former PMDC strongman, Dauda Tombo Bangura as Fund Raising Ambassador for the APC party. Reports say Dauda defected to the APC Party few months ago from the PMDC where he fought fruitlessly to be the national chairman. Mr. Dauda Tombo Bangura is said to be a financial expert leading a successful Accounting Firm in the United States of America. He is being reportedly put in charge of APC fund raising and logistics affairs ahead of the 2012 elections.


Minister Warns Sand Miners


The Minister for Fisheries and Marine Resources Joseph Koroma, in collaboration with the Ministry of Lands, Country Planning and the Environment has reportedly warned sand miners at Tombo Village in the Western Rural District to desist forthwith or face legal consequences.   The minister is reported to have recently paid an on-the-spot visit to the village where illegal sand mining has caused an adverse effect on the ministrys fish land site under construction. Reports further allege that illegal said mining is going at many beaches and land sites on the sea shore and river sides in the country.


100 Police Officers leave for Darfur


At least 100 personnel of the Sierra Leone Police Force have left the shores of the country to participate in peacekeeping operation in the troubled region of Darfur, Southern Sudan.  Before their deployment, the officers reportedly went through an internal pre-development training in Ghana supported by the German Technical Cooperation (GTZ). Report say 60% of the peacekeepers are male, while the remaining 40% are female.


Salone-London Flight Catches Fire in Mid-air


Local tabloids say Boeing 757 airliner that plies between London and Sierra Leone on Thursday caught fire in mid-air but was however able to land under emergency at the Nouakchott International Airport in Mauritania. Prior to the accident the airliner departed the Lungi International Airport in Freetown with 110 passengers on board bound for London .All the passengers reports say disembarked from the aircraft safely as  fire fighters battled to put off  the fire.



© Copyright 2005, Freetown, Sierra Leone.