EXTRORDINARY SESSION OF THE UNION MINISTERIAL COUNCIL
03 June, 2017
HARBEL, REPUBLIC OF LIBERIA
Resolutions of the Extraordinary Meeting of Union Ministerial Council
An Extra Ordinary Session of the Mano River Union (MRU) Ministerial Council was held at the Farmington Hotel in Harbel, Margibi County, Republic of Liberia on Saturday 03 June 2017. This meeting was chaired by H.E. Mrs. Kanny Diallo, Minister of Planning and International Cooperation of the Republic of Guinea, Chairperson of the Union Ministerial Council (UMC);
In attendance were:
•H.E. Mr Momodu L. Kargbo, Minister of Finance and Economic Development of the Republic of Sierra Leone;
•H.E. Mr. Ally Coulibaly, Minister of African Integration and Ivorians Abroad of the Republic of Côte d'Ivoire;
•H.E. Mr. Boima S. Kamara, Minister of Finance and Development Planning of the Republic of Liberia;
•H.E. Mr. Dehpue Y. Zuo, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs for International Cooperation and Economic Integration; and
•H.E. Dr. Sylvia Blyden, Minister of Social Welfare, Gender and Children’s Affairs, Republic of Sierra Leone.
The meeting was also graced by the presence of the Ambassadors of the Member States of the MRU accredited to Liberia, Deputy SRSG UNOWAS and Staff, Officials and some staff of the MRU Secretariat and other Government Representatives.
In Consideration of the decisions of the Union’s Heads of State Summit held on 24th June 2016 in Conakry, Republic of Guinea on the effective implementation of the restructuring exercise of the Union and following the deliberations of this Extraordinary Session of the UMC, the following resolutions were made as follows:
Resolution 1 - Appointment of the new Secretary General and the new Deputies
• Express thanks and gratitude to Amb. Dr. Hadja Saran Daraba Kaba, Outgoing Secretary General for having professionally steered the affairs of the Union’s Secretariat during her tenure of office;
• The Council endorsed the nomination of Mrs. Medina Wesseh by The Government of the Republic of Liberia as the New Secretary General of the Mano River Union;
• The new Secretary General takes up office on Friday 09th June 2017 and the handing over ceremony be conducted the same day at the MRU Headquarters under the supervision of Mr. Momodu L. Kargbo, Minister of Finance and Economic Development of Sierra Leone;
• The UMC endorsed the nomination by the Government of Côte d'Ivoire of Mrs. Jacqueline Konan as Deputy Secretary General in charge of Peace and Security and Mrs. Konan to assume the position from Mrs. Linda Koroma, Outgoing Deputy Secretary General in charge of Peace and Security on Friday 09th June 2017; and
• Concerning the allocation of the two other executive positions between the Republic of Guinea and the Republic of Sierra Leone: Deputy Secretary General in charge of Finance and Administration and Deputy Secretary General in Charge of Economic Development and Regional Integration, the UMC refers the matter to the Heads of State for final decision whilst those two positions are now declared VACANT as of Friday 9th June 2017. The Council urged the two Members of the Council concerned to engage their respective Heads of States to take the final decision.
Resolution 2 - Governance and Operations of the Secretariat
• The UMC noted with concern that both the proposed organogram and current personnel costs are unsustainably high and require a review to reduce costs; and
• The UMC, therefore, recommends that a firm be recruited to review the structure and assess the staffing needs and financial implications in light of MRU programs and projects and recommend changes for the consideration of the UMC.
Resolution 3 - Payment of Contribution
Noting the lack of financial resources available currently, the UMC recommends the payment of the full contribution by all Member States by the end of June 2017.
Done in Harbel on 3rd June 2017
H.E. Mrs. Kanny Diallo
Minister of Planning and International Cooperation of the Republic of Guinea, Chairperson of the Union Ministerial Council
H.E. Mr. Momodu L. Kargbo
Minister of Finance and Economic Development of the Republic of Sierra Leone
H.E. Mr. Ally Coulibaly
Minister of African Integration and Ivorians Abroad
H.E. Mr. Dehpue Y. Zuo
Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs for International Cooperation and Economic Integration, on behalf of H.E. Mr. Boima S. Kamara, Minister of Finance and Development Planning of the Republic of Liberia
© Copyright by Awareness Times
Newspaper in Freetown, Sierra Leone.